With Christmas approaching and the amount of people shopping online, we thought we would give you a few tips to make the most of your pay per click marketing efforts.
- Set A Budget – Daily, weekly or monthly amount you are willing and able to spend. If you have been running AdWords campaigns during the year, take the data (ROI, conversion rates etc.) you already have to make your budget decision a little easier as this part of the game is normally a major stumbling block for most small business owners. If you are unsure, start small, observe, learn, upscale or make changes.
- Start With A Small Net, Then Expand – Normally I like to start a campaign by limiting the AdWords network to search only. You will normally always have better conversion rates from the search network due to the traffic being of a higher quality. When you feel you are ready to upscale the amount of money you are willing to spend to get more traffic, set up a new campaign that is only targeting the content network and start optimising the campaign to get the highest ROI you can.
- Think Outside The Box For Your Keywords – To try and keep your keyword CPC costs to a minimum try and think of long tailed keywords and common typos in keywords that your competitors may have overlooked. For example, pre-Christmas sale; post-holiday sale; black Friday deals; holiday fragrances; holiday gifts for her/him etc. Please note that you should not base your overall AdWords strategy on these, to be successful at AdWords you need to include a mixture of expensive but high volume keywords and cheaper but low volume keywords.
- Bundle Related Products & Services – Christmas shopping is stressful, so make it easier for your customers. Let’s look at gift hampers, they are always very popular around this time of year. Why? The more you can pack into an offer, usually the easier the sale because the customer has a higher perceived value for money and it takes less time as you get multiple items with one purchase. This is what every shopper wants, so give it to them! If you need ideas on what to bundle into your offers, go to Amazon, look up an item you want to put into a “special offer” and they tell you what the most popular other items people bought, it is a great starting point for ideas!
- Online = Easy – Take a step back from trying to sell the product for a minute, what do your customers want at this time of year? They want to avoid overcrowded parking lots and department stores so ease and convenience would be a good angle to sell. The easier you make it for a prospective customer to buy something from you, the better! Entice them with the ease and convenience by offering them things like, free shipping, discounts for ordering online, easy options for them if they need to return an item or tell them how many steps it takes to buy something from you, I personally love this one!
- Track & Monitor – If you are using any type of PPC platforms, eg Google Adwords, Yahoo/Bing Search Marketing or Facebook to drive traffic to your website you need to some type of tracking system in place to measure outcomes and visitor user patterns. Google Analytics is one of the most popular options as it is powerful and FREE!
- Content & Call To Actions – Let’s face it, you can have the best product in the world but if you do not make it drop dead easy for your customers to buy your products you are flushing money away on PPC. Ensure you content is easy for your customers to navigate and gather the information they need and the call to action links/buttons stand out from the rest of the page. Testing the layout of your landing pages is a great way to ensure you are getting the most out of every visitor to your website, we recommend using Google Optimiser for page layout testing.
Hope these help your pay per click marketing over the Christmas holiday season. Thanks!