Two years ago I was stuck in a job that I hated, making barely enough money to pay my bills and struggling to find the time to continue pursuing my real dream of writing music, which seemed to be slowly slipping through my fingers. I knew there had to be a way to get out of the trap I seemed to be stuck in, but I could not figure out how. I was in my early thirties and I reached a low point where I felt very defeated. I remember talking to a friend one night, a co-worker actually, and I said "All I want to do is to find a way to make enough money to pay my bills and enjoy my life on my terms". I wanted the ability to create my own schedule and pursue my dreams on my own terms. I'll never forget my friend's response, without missing a beat he said, "That's what everybody wants."
Sometimes in life we have to hit a low point before we're really motivated to take action. Shortly after this conversation I embarked on what is now close to a two and a half year journey of creating and launching my own information product business online. Prior to this point I had worked a series of low paid, unsatisfying jobs, all with the idea that at heart I was a musician and these jobs were nothing more than a means to an end. Well I'm still a musician, and I continue to pursue my passion for playing and performing my music. But the difference now is that I have a business, two actually, that I believe in and that sustain me. Regardless of what happens with my music career and the inevitable ups and downs that is part of the music industry, I have a business that I believe in that is much more than just a means to an end.
I'm in touch with a lot of people, both in person and via email. One issue that I've heard over and over is that people are struggling financially right now. As we all know, the economy is not doing so great right at the moment. I'm an optimist and I'm confident we will recover, but the reality is that right now things are hard for a lot people.
It Does not Have To Be This Way!
For the last several months I have been developing a program that teachers people how to create and launch their own information product business online. If you have knowledge that you've acquired over the years that others would like to learn, creating an information product business is a great way to either supplement your current income or generate a full time income. For me, what originally started as something I did in my spare time as a hobby has blossomed into two businesses, with two employees. In my new program I show you how I did it and how you can do the same.
Why Information Products?
There are a lot of ways to make money on the internet but I am specifically interested in helping people learn how to create and launch information products, for a variety of reasons, a few of them are:
1) Extremely low costs to get started . I mean extremely low. If you have a computer and internet access you can get started for about $ 35.00. I do not know of any other legitimate business opportunities where the barrier to entry is this low. If you have a good idea and the will to implement it you can get in the game very easily and quickly.
2) It's Automated . What's great about selling information products is that the entire process of selling can be automated. If you sell a digital product like me you have nothing to ship. The product is delivered instantly and automatically. No warehouses, no assembling products and no driving to the post office to ship your products. Now I should point out that I do sell hard copy products as well but I have someone else that I've outsourced packaging and shipping to. I just send them my orders and they take care of the rest. Problem solved.
3) Flexible Schedule. I can not think of a better ¨day job¨ than working online. Need to take a week off? No problem, just take your laptop with you and your good to go. I have run my business from multiple states and multiple countries because of the flexibility my job allows. Wherever I go with my laptop and an internet connection is my office. I have worked in such remote areas as The Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Florida. OK Florida is not that remote, but the point is it does not really matter. Basically the whole world has internet access at this point and if you have internet access you can work just as effectively, regardless of where you are.
4) No Boss . I guess this one lies into having a flexible schedule. I personally have always hated having a boss to answer to. I guess it goes along with being a musician and a free spirit. When you work for yourself you answer to yourself. Now I'm not going to lie, this has its pros and cons. When the shit hits the fan you have no one to blame but yourself. But for me, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I'll take dealing with the challenges and struggles of running my own business over dealing with an ungrateful, mean, domineering boss any day.
5) You Choose Your Own Niche . This is a big one. I chose the music licensing industry both because I knew quite a bit about it and because I'm a musician and I wanted to stay close and connected to the music industry. If you're day job is selling used cars or insurance or something like that, it's hard to really feel like your job is anything other than an end to a means. When your day job is connected to your passion and your dream, the two go hand in hand and help support each other. I have been paid to teach others about the music licensing industry and as a result have personally learned a great deal more about the industry which has helped me take steps forward. Choosing the right niche is an important decision and if you choose the right one it will not only help you make money but will help you get closer to achieving your long term goals.
6) It's Recession Proof . I've made a lot more money this year than I did last year despite being in an economic downturn. I have had challenges, no doubt, but one of the many great things about working for yourself is that you have the ability to adapt to your circumstances. When you have a job, if you have a job, you get paid the same month to month regardless of what's happening. But with an internet business you can adapt to the changing circumstances. Need to make more money? Launch a new product. Need to generate more sales? Offer a discount. You call the shots and are able to adapt to what's happening.