Prosecution in Seafield temple riot trial closes case after 4 years


Magistrate Iskandar Zainol has instructed the prosecution and defence to file their submissions by April 3.

The 2018 riot also made headlines after a fireman died of his injuries.

PETALING JAYA: The prosecution has closed its case, four years after 17 men were charged with rioting at the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman Temple in Subang Jaya.

Investigating officer Ali Yusran was the final witness before deputy public prosecutor Wafi Husain informed (PJ) magistrate Iskandar Zainol that the prosecution was wrapping up its case.

Lawyer Kirthiraj Rajasundram, representing Saifullah Abdullah, said about 20 witnesses gave evidence for the prosecution since the trial began in 2019.

“The magistrate has instructed the prosecution and the defence to file their submissions by April 3,” he told FMT.

Apart from Saifullah, others charged are Riduan Sekh Ruslan, Irwan Noordin, Khairi Abdul Rashid, Rozaihan Zakaria, Qayyum Mohd Faisal, Ashraf Mohd Faizal, Absal Eastrie Abdullah, Jalil Talib, Khairol Anuar Zabidi, Zamri Md Said, Shukri Razali, Nor Azmi Abdul Ghani, Shahril Danniel Sajeel, Hasneezam Shah Samsudin, Akmal Izzat Azi and Norul Ismawi Islahuddin.

Aged between 24 and 47, they are charged with rioting and being in possession of dangerous weapons between 2am and 5am on Nov 26, 2018.

The offence under Section 148 of the Penal Code carries a maximum jail term of five years or a fine or both, upon conviction.

All are on bail pending the outcome of the trial.

Three magistrates had presided over the case while four DPPs conducted the trial.

The incident also grabbed the headlines when fireman Adib Mohd Kassim, who was injured while on duty at the scene of the riot, died at the National Heart Institute a month later.

In 2019, the coroner’s court ruled that “more than two unidentified persons” had killed the fireman.

In June last year, Adib’s father Kassim Abdul Hamid withdrew his suit to cite former attorney-general Tommy Thomas for contempt of court over his remarks on the inquest’s proceedings.

Kassim’s lawyers, however, said the decision to withdraw the appeal did not mean the police should stop searching for those responsible for Adib’s death, noting that criminal investigations had no time limit.

Kassim filed an application for a committal order against Thomas for allegedly insulting the court through the filing of an affidavit by the AGC on April 3, 2019, which indicated that Adib’s death was not due to injuries caused by someone.

Kassim also accused Thomas of committing contempt by issuing a media statement on May 28, 2019, while the inquest was under way.

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Bitcoin (BTC) RM125,117.37
Ethereum (ETH) RM7,964.53
Tether (USDT) RM4.45
BNB (BNB) RM1,501.99
USD Coin (USDC) RM4.43
XRP (XRP) RM2.03
Binance USD (BUSD) RM4.43
Cardano (ADA) RM1.68
Solana (SOL) RM99.35
Dogecoin (DOGE) RM0.335937
Polkadot (DOT) RM28.07
Polygon (MATIC) RM5.08
Lido Staked Ether (STETH) RM7,964.17
Shiba Inu (SHIB) RM0.000048
Dai (DAI) RM4.42
TRON (TRX) RM0.297574
Avalanche (AVAX) RM77.12