South Carolina State Fair
As the weather turns cooler and the Fall season begins, South Carolina residents and visitors alike begin to look forward to one of the largest annual South Carolina events of the year. Each and every year, the South Carolina State Fairgrounds in Columbia, SC become the home of the South Carolina State Fair. Right in the mid of Gamecock Football season, Halloween festivals, and holiday decorating, thousands of people make their way to Columbia, SC to enjoy the exciting entertainment that the South Carolina State Fair has to offer. What makes it such a unique and wonderful experience? Here are a few of the State Fair attractions, activities and events that visitors look forward to time and time again
1. Fair Rides – Small children and adults alike find pure entertainment in the classic fair rides that make you spin, twirl, drop, and swing. The Tilt-A-Whirl, Ferris Wheel, Bumper Cars and more come back year after year to make visitors laugh and scream as they enjoy this memorable, thrilling experience with family and friends. If you enjoy heights and great views, be sure to hop on the Ferris Wheel for a magnificent view of Williams Brice Stadium, the home of the South Carolina Gamecock Football team. While the names of the rides may change and new rides come to town, you can always count on the good old classics that have kept us entertained for as long as we can remember.
2. Fair Games – The night is not complete at the SC State Fair until you have challenged your family and friends to a squirt gun competition, balloon darts, whac-a-mole, and more! The list of games goes on and on and the prizes just get bigger and bigger. The best part? The more you win, the bigger the prize! You can spot the fair game champions walking through the fairgrounds with 4 foot tall stuffed animals strapped to their back or riding along in the stroller! Both little children and adults alike will be smiling and laughing as they take their chances at their favorite game and hope for that grand prize!
3. Fair Food – As soon as you park the car and start walking towards the State Fairgrounds, your senses kick in and you start craving that delicious fair food. Funnel cakes, corn dogs, Italian Sausage, candy apples, pizza, french fries, cotton candy and more! If you like fried food, this is the place to be! From fried chicken, to fried oreos and candy bars, to fried mushrooms, they are always frying something new for visitors to try. Be sure to come hungry because there are delicious meals and special trips to keep visitors munching all night long. If you happen to be at the South Carolina State Fair during a Gamecock Football Home Game, these delicious trips make for a perfect meal before heading in to Williams Brice Stadium to cheer on the Gamecocks.
4. Fair Shows – The State Fair offers a variety of fascinating shows and special performances to keep visitors of all ages and interests entertained. Visitors enjoy cooking shows, animal shows, magic shows, comedy shows and special performances by a hypnotist! The hardest part is choosing which show to watch first!
5. Concerts – Each year, the SC State Fair joins popular artists and musicians who perform at the Pepsi Grandstand for fair guests. From country to rock, and everything in between, these exciting performances are a must see when you visit the State Fair. Each year brings a new group of musicians who put on great shows and entertain the entire crowd.
So there you have it! While there may be some new rides, extra food, and different shows, the classic favorites that South Carolina State Fair visitors have come to know and love continue to come back time and time again. It has become a family tradition for many, a romantic evening for couples, and a night filled with laughter for groups of friends. Do not miss out on this exciting South Carolina annual event. Check out the State Fair and decide for yourself which treat is the most delicious, which ride is the most thrilling, and which show is the most entertaining! You might want to give yourself a couple of days in Columbia, SC to experience the State Fair. With so much to do and see, you can easily make it a weekend long event. Plan ahead and stay at a nearby hotel and get the most out of the SC State Fair and all that Columbia, SC has to offer.