Unfortunately, some people have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. It is estimated that one in three Canadians and 70 million Americans have trouble falling asleep, sleep poorly when sleep finally arrives, and carry on in a sleep-deprived state day after day.
Sleep is not a luxury, and quality sleep is an absolute necessity for health and well-being. So, make a pact with yourself that you will give top priority to optimizing your sleep in both quality and quantity.
Here are ten tips to fall asleep and stay asleep.
1. Avoid late-night television, especially the local news. It can take discipline not to watch the news. But it is important for your sleep quality and especially for your ability to fall asleep.
2. Keep your bedroom completely dark. This will aid in getting into a position for slumber.
3. Make sure that you remove all noise items, including people who snore. If your spouse snores, make sure that you can have separate bedrooms and that he or she goes to a sleep expert to rule out any kind of sleep apnea.
4. Don’t let your pets in to sleep with you. They only create more restlessness and poor quality of slumber. Pet them before you go to sleep and then close the door and keep them out or train them to stay on the mat beside your bed.
5. Take no naps during the day. Nodding off at your desk will deprive you of a good night’s sleep.
6. Keep your bedroom cool. This will help you to not be too warm and sweaty.
7. Don’t consume any beverages in the form of caffeine after 4 pm. Otherwise, your quality of slumber will be affected.
8. Don’t take sleeping pills to help you with insomnia. They are not only habit forming but have also been known to result in impaired memory function and are associated with a reduction in cognitive functions.
9. If you are having a late dinner, avoid eating a large meal. Instead, just have a smaller, lighter meal.
10. Don’t consume too much alcohol right before bed. In fact, even a drink two or three hours before bed can impact how well you fall asleep and stay in slumber.
By taking these steps, you will be improving how fast you fall asleep and how long you stay asleep without waking up and having to toss and turn for a few hours. That is a sure way to get less sleep than you deserve and need for optimal health and well-being.