The danger of diabetes can go far beyond your imagination. Excess unused glucose in the blood can scattered all over the body in places where they are not supposed to be in. Thus, if the hyperglycemia is not properly controlled or regulated, it can affect every organ in the body, including the hair and finger nails.
Here is a list of 10 threats or complications which is directly caused by long term high blood sugar content. It shows how diabetes type 2 can affects the quality of life and the sacrifice one has to make in order to control and maintain the glucose level.
- Death probability increase 2 – 3 times compared to healthy person
- Chance of getting heart disease and stroke is 2 – 3 times of normal person.
- Possibility of suffering visual impairment is 10 folds.
- The possibility of suffering gangrene (necrosis) and risk amputation is 20 times more.
- Diabetes is the second main cause of fatal kidney failure.
- The patient will be more susceptible other health complications such as diabetic neuropathies, sexual dysfunction, immune disorders.
- 2 times more likely to be hospitalized compared to people of the same age.
- Increased financial burden due to high cost on medications, therapies, treatments, surgeries, and other related expenses.
- Depletion of retirement fund or pension money on other diabetes related expense that is not covered by insurance. Possible lost of income earning ability due to physical disability.
- Emotional stress on the patient and his/her family members.
Type 2 diabetes is an illness that gradually forms over a long period of time, talking about 10, 20 years or more. It might not bring any obvious serious pain or discomfort in the first 10 years, but when one of the vital organ (usually kidney first) starts to fail, that is when the domino effect begins. The malfunction of one organ can speed up the damage of other vital organs and it can take away one’s life in less than 2 years since the occurrence first serious disorder.
Do not delay until the very last stage where there is nothing you can do to reverse the damages which scatter all over the body, the artery wall might have been covered with a thick layer of sticky sugar which blocks the delivery of nutrients and prevent the removal of toxic waste.
Thus the earlier one realize that his or her blood is showing signs of hyperglycemia, the better chance it is to control or reverse the condition through the change of diet and lifestyle. We should try our best to avoid from getting diabetes because it is a silent killer that grows slowly in your body.