Having a hard time ranking in Google? Why not try optimizing for Yahoo? After all, Yahoo commands over 22% of the search market – and 22% of billions of users is quite a lot!
Because Yahoo's algorithms are a few years behind Google's, it is often easier to get a decent page ranking in Yahoo. And fortunately, many of the factors that give weight to your Yahoo ranking are not even considered by Google, so you will not have to worry about Google penalizing you for keyword stuffing.
Follow these simple tips and your pages will soon be well optimized for a great Yahoo ranking:
- Your title tag should contain your keyword phrase and should be 5-7 words long. You should also limit your title tag to no more than 70 characters.
- Your description tag should contain your keyword phrase at the very beginning and contain a 13-20 word complete sentence clearly describing your site. Your description tag should be no more than 180 characters and should blend your keywords with your marketing message.
- Your keywords tag should have your main keyword phrase at the very beginning, be no more than 250 characters long. You should also have no more than three repetitions of a single keyword.
- Your url (filename) should contain your keyword phrase as closely as possible.
- Your heading 1 tag should contain your keyword phrase as close to the beginning as possible. Only one heading 1 should be used per page. Heading 2 tags should also contain your keyword phrase as close to the beginning of the headline as possible.
- All images should include alt tags and, if at all possible, the alt text should contain your keyword or keyword phrase. (But be careful not to sacrifice accessibility in favor of keyword stuffing.) All images should be optimized to decrease page load time and encourage spider crawling.
- Your inline links should include your keyword phrases as part of your linked text and should refer to pages that are also optimized for the same keyword. When linking to pages within your own web site, use the full URL web address instead of relative web links.
- You should build up multiple (as many as possible) one way links from relevant pages optimized for the same keyword. Whenever ever possible, encourage your linking partners to use your keyword phrases as their link text.
- Be sure to publish an XML site map and a Robots.txt file. Keep your site map updated on a regular basis, especially as new pages or new posts are added.
Log onto my website for FREE checklists on optimizing your website for Yahoo and Ask.